Thursday 23 July 2009

last blog entry from the big brother / little brother yacht

In a surprise move, I have decided to jump ship in the Azores - so this
is my last blog for this little adventure.

Faial is an absolutely gorgeous island, and Horta a lovely town,
extremely friendly and laid back. Following our "showers" the other
night we went and found the famous Peter's Sports Bar and had a
fantastic dinner and some beers with one of the other OSTAR skippers,
Mike Collins. Peter's Sports Bar is directly underneath the Scrimshaw
Museum; it has a lot of scrimshaw on display but the most prominent
decorative feature there is the countless burgees from various yacht
clubs around the world that adorn every inch of wall and ceiling space!
Pity we didn't bring ours...

And then we came back to Dinah and slept... and slept... and slept! It
was so wonderful not to have to get up to do a watch. And totally
amazing to sleep in a bed that wasn't constantly doing its utmost to
pitch its occupant unceremoniously out onto the floor!!! And then we got
up in the morning and got to have a proper shower ... how cool is
that!!!

So back to my decision to leave the boys bring Dinah home double-handed
... mainly I guess because I'm a wimp! I miss my home, I miss going for
a run, I miss fresh vegetables!

The trip was an incredible experience, and one that I'll always treasure
in my memory... I have pushed myself well out of my comfort zone and not
only survived but in reality enjoyed the experience. I have a much
better understanding of why Barry is so passionate about the sea -
there's a real sense of "peace" when you're at the mercy of Mother
Nature.

I will miss the boys. I'll miss the sense of adventure. I'll miss the
amazing skies on night-watches and other moments of the most incredible
beauty. And I'll miss the opportunity to bring Dinah into Cork Harbour
in 10 days time - which I think will be hugely emotional, particularly
for Barry who is now almost into his 11th week of his adventures.

And so with that, I wish Dinah and her reduced crew a Bon Voyage! I'll
be eagerly awaiting you in Cobh!

Aileen's Adventure - Out.

2 comments:

  1. You did brilliant Aileen. Just brilliant. I couldn't have done it. Glad to know you're safely back on dry land. Be very proud of yourself - marathons, transatlantic crossings, rescue dogs .... what next?!!!! Niall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aileen, thank you for the experience you have given all of us. We got to live vicariously through you. You endured more than I could ever imagine. You'll have fond memories by leaving now, another 10 days and it could have done you in. So knowing when a good thing is time to end is why you have been the success you are in everything you do. So this is a success and Mark and I are extremely proud and amazed by you.

    ReplyDelete